Wednesday 18 January 2017

156/ A CANADIAN'S GUIDE TO WINTER WEAR

I'm posting this when we're having unseasonably warm weather, but I assure you we have suffered through some extremely cold days this winter.

Canada is known for their winters and they're no joke. We have things like windchill, frostbite, blizzards, snow squalls and freezing rain to worry about. Every day seems to throw a different obstacle at us but we fight through it every year. I always laugh to myself because we're used to temperatures dipping past -10, -20 and sometimes -30 degrees celcius. It's not enjoyable, but it's a fact of life.

Not everywhere in Canada has it this bad (I'm looking at you, Vancouver) so I can only really speak about what it's like in Ottawa/Eastern Ontario. I used to love winter but now I'm finding myself counting down the seconds until spring (which can happen anywhere from March to May depending on how long winter wants to stay).

How do we survive it? Well, it takes a lot of strength. And layers. A lot of layers. Being a Canadian is expensive in a way because we truly experience all four season. And since we experience all four seasons, we have to dress appropriately for them. Frigid constantly changing weather conditions in the winter months means that we have to be ready for anything that Mother Nature throws at us.

On really cold days (-15 and below) I wear my parka. I couldn't live without it. It's from Eddie Bauer and it's rain/wind resistant. My only complaint about it is that it's a little too hot and I find myself sweating in it even on the coldest of days.

My main mode of transportation is the city bus, which isn't reliable even on the best days, so my outerwear really has to perform. I have a selection of winter boots, from brands like Dr. Martens, Timberland and Tommy Hilfiger, and I switch them out on an almost daily basis. Some are waterproof, some are extra warm and some have better traction - it all depends on how the sidewalks are and how much water/ice/snow there is out there.

A large scarf is a great tool to have, especially when frostbite warnings are in affect. They can cover your face and still keep a large portion of your upper body warm. A toque (or beanie for all my non-Canadian friends) is absolutely essential. You can find them at just about any store and the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. Just find one that's thick enough to keep you warm. You lose a lot of heat through your head and your ears are a target for frostbite so it is imperative that you have your toque at the ready at. all. times.

I keep promising myself that I'm going to be a better blogger but it's so hard to take outfit of the day posts when the temperatures are low and when there are only a few short hours of daylight. I'm trying to be better. I will be better.

COAT/ Eddie Bauer SCARF/ Forever 21 TOQUE/ H&M
BACKPACK/ Matt & Nat
Photos by Laura Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment