Saturday 16 December 2017

BIRTHDAY POST/ advice for my younger self

I'm turning 26 today.
But I don't feel 26.

When I was a teenager I thought that by the time I was 25 I'd have everything figured out. I was supposed to be in a longterm relationship by then, I was supposed to be finished post secondary, maybe have a house of my own, definitely a career and a couple of pets.

But my life didn't work out that way.

And at first I was ashamed of myself. For many years I saw the people around me graduating school, falling in love and crossing things off their life's to-do list as I sat and stared at the unchecked boxes on mine. I felt like my life, and certainly my youth, was slipping away from me.

Looking back and sitting where I'm sitting now, in a life that I'm happy with, I'm realizing that I wouldn't have been happy with the life that I thought I was supposed to live. I knew deep down in my heart that wasn't something that I really wanted so quickly. I'm a Sagittarius, I like to explore and I want to experience everything to its fullest. Settling down wasn't in the cards for me, and it looks like it still isn't, but I'm okay with that. We're told that we have to do certain things by a certain age and that if we don't keep up with the status quo we're falling behind but that really isn't the case.

Here's some advice that I wish I took to heart when I was younger: Do things at your own pace. Timelines mean absolutely nothing when you're trying to get over or through things. Do things that you're comfortable with, when you're comfortable. Try not to compare yourself to those around you - you're all going through different things. Lift each other up and try to ask for help when you need it. Live your life for yourself and take care of yourself the best that you can. 

And here's another bit:
It's never too late.

Today I'm 26 years old. I'm writing this blog post from my apartment in Toronto. I moved out from my parents house a couple of months ago and I'm finishing up my first semester in a post secondary program. I've tried college twice before, but it wasn't for me. This time it feels like it is. I wasn't ready then but now I am and that's okay. It's all apart of my journey and I'm ~hashtag blessed~ to have you all along for this portion of it.

DRESS/ H&M+ LEGGINGS/ H&M+ BELT/ Addition Elle 
BOOTS/ Dr. Martens HANDBAG/ Alexander Wang 'Mini Rockie'
Photos by Jessie Larabie

No comments:

Post a Comment