Tuesday 12 December 2017

INTRODUCING: KJ of LUCKY LITTLE QUEER


KJ is the creative mind behind Lucky Little Queer. We've known each other for a couple of years now and I'm constantly amazed by them and their creativity. 

Lucky Little Queer's art really speaks to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, feminist art is my favourite kind of art. Their pieces are absolutely beautiful and they all come with important messages. I have a floral piece that says 'girls supporting girls' proudly hanging in my room; I'm looking to grow my collection and I'm hoping to commission a tattoo from them in the near future. 

xxxxxxxxxx

They were kind enough to answer a couple of questions about Lucky Little Queer - they talk about where the name came from, what inspires them and where you can find them:

I started selling my art as Lucky Little Queer late December of 2016, so almost a year ago.

I’ve always been passionate about art and I’ve always had a drive to create, but until I started Lucky Little Queer I only tended to use it as an outlet for the things I was experiencing growing up, like working through trauma, discovering my queer and trans identity, and being mentally ill. I found creating art to be very healing for me, but I wanted to create positive, affirmative pieces that I could use as a tool to bond and connect with others. I realized that there really isn’t a lot of public art that is relatable for folks with identities similar to mine; I never really saw positive messaging surrounding nonbinary and gender-diverse identities, and a lot of common queer rhetoric focuses only on our struggles and social challenges we face. I started posting my own pieces online that featured positive messages surrounding queer identity, with flowers and bright colours being a main focus in my work. I saw that there seems to be a want or a need within our community to celebrate who we are, so my drive tends to stem from that.

I named my art business Lucky Little Queer because I seriously am a lucky little queer. I consider myself so blessed to be where I am in my life. I’m happier than I’ve ever been, I have such strong supportive figures surrounding me, and I am so lucky to be able to do the work that I do and have the encouragement of my community around me. I’m also just queer as fuck and want everyone to know.

You can find me on Instagram and Facebook at @luckylittlequeer. I sell existing pieces and I also love doing unique commissions so I would love to hear from you! 

xxxxxxxxxx

Lucky Little Queer will be selling their pieces at Happy Goat in Sandy Hill (317 Wilbrod) this upcoming Thursday (December 14th) from 3 - 8PM at the Straight GOODS Year End Art Sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment