Tuesday 20 November 2012

TWENTY-TWO/ arm insecurities

These pictures were taken many months ago when the weather was still sunny, my hair wasn't grown out and when I had both of my Toms (the left once has since been lost). I'm looking back on these photos and as ridiculous as this sounds, I never blogged them because of my arms.

I have fat arms. I have fat everything else too, and I've been okay with that for pretty much my entire life. I even learned at an early age to embrace my size but I can never remember a time where I was comfortable with my arms. And much like other people who hate their arms, I used to wear long sleeves and sometimes even thick hoodies in the summer to hide my arms. A couple of years ago I realized how silly that was, an extra layer of clothing isn't going to fool anybody so why suffer in 30 degree weather while wearing it? Looking back, I have no idea why I was so ashamed to post these pictures. I lived in this vest the entire summer and I even wore it in this post. I wear sleeveless or short sleeved shirts all the time, so why was I so afraid to have another actual picture documenting it? That is totally uncharacteristic of me, but here we are. Although I'm aware that this insecurity will probably always be present in my life, I'm going to try and make it a point to never let it hold me back again. 
They are definitely not my favourite features, I'm sure they never will be, but they're mine and I can't keep hiding from them..

TOP&VEST/ Forever 21 SKIRT/ Gifted SHOES/ Toms
SCARF/ H&M ACCESSORIES/ Various
WATCH/ Michael Kors

All pictures were taken by Laura Kidd and Michael Tundo.
* I did call myself 'fat' in this post but I don't see that as a negative term, nor did I use it or post this post so people can message me and tell me how ~skinny~ I actually am. I'm not skinny, I never will be, and I'm fully aware of that and I truly am happy with myself. I did this post because I wanted to get over my fear of my arms, if that makes any sense. A lot of times I'm overly confident as well and this is to to also prove that I too am insecure some of the time. The embarrassment I have towards my arms is something I'm constantly working on and I hope this post will give me confident to go sleeveless in more posts in the future.

7 comments:

  1. You look so cute and casual! So beautiful, Rose! And I am so happy that you are happy with your beautiful arms :)
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always struggled with my arms too and I'm on the same journey of acceptance as you. All through high school I would always wear my school jumper because of it (Australian summers, eek!). It doesn't help that on my right arm I have this extra funny little roll that is not on my left arm! But I've made my peace with it, haha. Looking at your photos, you look absolutely fine! Thanks for the encouraging post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That would be awful to endure during an Australian summer. I admire your courage in coming to terms with your "funny little roll". It's things like that that make us who we are and we need to learn how to embrace them, despite how difficult it may be. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

      Delete
  3. you look great! nice casual oufit!

    ReplyDelete